The upcoming meeting of the Blue Valley BioClub will be an informational meeting for students to find out about a number of distinct biologically related events that they can participate in. The meeting information is:
Where: CAPS, 7501 West 149th Terrace, main atrium
When: Wednesday, September 2nd, 6:00-7:00 pm
Who: All BVNW students, Freshmen through Seniors, are welcome to attend
Why: To introduce and have students sign up for potential opportunities for this school year
To give you a better idea of what students can do through the club:
- iGEM – Students will work as a team to design and engineer bacteria to take on a novel trait(s) to solve an existing problem. We just received a $2000 grant to help facilitate this work and will be working with an academic at MO Western in St. Joseph, MO on our project this year.
- Protein Modeling – A group of students will learn about protein structure and function by exploring a protein of interest. Students may present a poster of their work at the annual meeting of the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in San Diego in April.
- Kansas Herpetological Field Trips – Along with BVN and BVW we will be traveling to Washington County in October, and another county in the spring, to survey for amphibians and reptiles over a weekend.
- Kansas EcoMeet – Team of 4 students compete to demonstrate their skills of identifying animals and plants, as well as perform a 5 minute skit. We have won the state competition 3 of the past 6 years, coming off a win from last year. This is a fall competition. Regionals at the end of October and State in the first week of November.
- Biology Olympiad – This is a paper test to be taken early next semester (Jan-March). Students proceed through an open test, through a semifinal test, and then could be invited to participate in a two week experience at Purdue to compete for a spot to represent the US at the International Biology Olympiad. We had three students make it to the semifinal round last year. This may be our breakout year!
- KC Brain Bee – This competition occurs early next semester (Jan or Feb) and is held on a Saturday at KU Medical Center. The Blue Valley Schools have had numerous winners of this competition.
If you have any questions about the BioClub, feel free to email Mr. Eric Kessler. Also, check out the poster embedded below: