Image from Science Pioneers
Each year, a Kansas City-based organization called Science Pioneers holds a series of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) seminars for high school students. You have six opportunities this semester to attend one of these seminars and expand your biological knowledge. Best of all, you can earn extra credit for your attendance!
Who: Students, grades 7-12, their parents and teachers, and the public
What: Career scientists, engineers and technologists present these seminars on hot topics in science. Presenters hold a Q&A session after each seminar. These seminars are free and no registration is required. Click here to view this year’s schedule of seminars.
When: Saturdays, September 2019 to April 2020, 9:00 am – 10:00 am
Where: Union Station Extreme Screen
Why: Students will…
- Learn about real KC science firsthand from those involved
- Hear what scientists do on the job
- Receive actual career education
- Supplement/compliment the AP Biology curriculum
- Visit with scientists afterwards
- Earn 50 extra credit points for AP Biology! (Once per semester.)
Just make sure to take detailed notes during the seminar and get them stamped before you leave. When you turn in your notes, you’ll earn 50 extra credit points in the Class Work category of your grade. It’s as simple as that.
Who knows? You might just learn something.